Monday, August 28, 2006

The Big, Red Porch

I went to visit my Grandparents this weekend. It was a warm and happy weekend. But, when it was over and I was driving home I started to feel sad. Sad because I don't see them as much as I want. As much as I should. Sad because they are getting older which means time is becoming a minimum with them. My Grandpa had made me a rocking chair and he surprised me with it when I was there. I love it. I love it because he made it for me.
When I was a little girl we spent many, many weekends in the summer with my Grandparents at their cottage near the lake. I used to get up at the crack of dawn and my Grandpa would always be the one to get up with me. I would sit on his lap out on their big, red porch in the peaceful early morning. We would watch and feed the chipmunks together. When I think of the memories of those early mornings with my Grandpa they bring up a feeling that is hard to put into words. It's happiness and laughter. It's feeling carefree and safe and loved - a love that I think only a grandparent can give. I felt sad on my ride home because that big, red porch is gone and so is that little girl. But, then the millions of happy memories I have of my Grandpa, of my Grandma, bubbled up inside of me, they flashed before my eyes. And I remembered that the bond I have with my Grandparents is something that extends over the miles and the time between visits. It is something that I will always carry inside of me. And I didn't feel so sad anymore.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

geez, now i'm all choked up... just wanted to tell you how touching that was and to thank you for reminding me about my grandpa and his porch...

8/28/2006 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home